It's SO unbelievable.
I have so much to say, and I could be all over the map but here goes...
I'm finding my groove.
I have so much to say, and I could be all over the map but here goes...
I'm finding my groove.
Ralph drives Hayden to school for 8:30 and then makes the 15 minute drive to work.
He's working in Rijswijk.
Olivia and I (and Jade) go about our day until we have to leave to get Hayden.
It is 6 minute walk to Hayden's school
and he is done fro the day at 3:15.
Olivia and I will either do groceries during the day if we need to...
or we'll pick up a few things after we get Hayden.
We have 2 grocery stores within a 10 minute walk and 3 more within a 15 minute walk.
We have a good sized "American" fridge so a pop-in
a couple times a week will be more than enough.
And I SO LOVE the grocery store :)
I usually make dinner around 5.
Sounds like everyone else's day, doesn't it??
The kids still fight over everything.
I still have to vacuum 3 times a week because of 3 pets.
I still need to clean toilets and do laundry.
I swear, the only way I really feel different is that I hear another language
being spoken around me when I venture out.
And I get nervous when I think about having to speak
to another human being.
But I know that will get easier.
I'm trying to throw in the odd Dutch word I do know
so people at least think it's cute that I'm trying?!
Ralph told me to give myself a break....it's only been a month after all.
He works with a whole office of people that have been here for YEARS
and some don't speak a lick of Dutch!
I'm keen. Super keen. I WANT to learn.
I think it would be awesome to be bilingual.
so people at least think it's cute that I'm trying?!
Ralph told me to give myself a break....it's only been a month after all.
He works with a whole office of people that have been here for YEARS
and some don't speak a lick of Dutch!
I'm keen. Super keen. I WANT to learn.
I think it would be awesome to be bilingual.
Look at Hayden.
He's my inspiration for being crazy strong and brave.
He started a new school on the other side of the world.
Like it was no biggie.
The girls love him already.
They chase him around the playground and he even got his first love letter :)
I'm not sure I make friends that easy. But I'll try.
It makes me miss the ones I already had.
Here are some of the things I notice.
Some are significant and some are very superficial.
NONE of which make me love the move to Holland any less.
They are different, and things to get used to.
He started a new school on the other side of the world.
Like it was no biggie.
The girls love him already.
They chase him around the playground and he even got his first love letter :)
I'm not sure I make friends that easy. But I'll try.
It makes me miss the ones I already had.
Here are some of the things I notice.
Some are significant and some are very superficial.
NONE of which make me love the move to Holland any less.
They are different, and things to get used to.
1. We are cooking with gas. Literally. It's wicked. And I LOVE the convection oven.
2. I miss certain foods already. Nothing life altering. Just things I liked. And I'm allowed to miss things! Kraft Dinner, Multigrain Cheerios, International Delight flavored coffee creamer, S C & O chips, Orville Redenbacher popcorn and snack-sized ziploc bags.
3. The extra delicious, and inexpensive breads, cheeses, olives, tapenades, pastries and Lipton Zero iced tea with bubbles have helped.
3. I have been drinking a lot more than usual. 24 beer for 10 Euro and really good wine for 5 Euro a bottle...yes please!
4. I have NOT been drinking enough water.
5. I hate ice cube trays. I miss my fridge with water and ice built in.
5. I hate ice cube trays. I miss my fridge with water and ice built in.
6. Hayden can take peanut butter sandwiches to school, in gym they all change together, and if they go on a field trip there are no permission slips to sign.
7. It is proper manners that the kids each shake their teachers hand to say hello in the morning and goodbye at the end of the day. love that.
7. It is proper manners that the kids each shake their teachers hand to say hello in the morning and goodbye at the end of the day. love that.
8. We can walk or bike for only 15 min and have access to EVERY kind of shop I need.
9. I will NOT be getting a car....read....I should lose some weight and be more fit.
10. I am not allowed to work for 6 months...or until my immigration clears :)
10. I am not allowed to work for 6 months...or until my immigration clears :)
All of the silly stuff I worried about before I left was just that. Silly.
Everyone speaks Dutch, yes. And we all learn a bit every day.
I watch cartoons with Olivia to help :)
I haven't met anyone who doesn't speak English.
School is in Dutch.
Ballet is in Dutch. Soccer is in Dutch.
And that is great!
That's how we are going to be a bilingual family!!
I keep telling Ralph to just speak it at home and we'll get it eventually.
If I ever get a vacant look on my face, he knows I don't know what the eff he's talking about.
And that happens every day.
And I am learning not to get upset about it.
I feel out of the loop sometimes when people talk but I try to follow along.
My problem is I wanna be there NOW.
I wanna be the girl that learned really fast.
I'm going to take classes but I have to wait til both kids are in school full time.
Which is March.
The house now looks and feels like us.
It's bright and lovely and feels like home.
It is a rental, so there are few things we would change.....
but that will have to wait until we get a new place that's ours.
We may want a bit more space.
Having said that, almost everything has found a good home.
Which is a miracle.
When all those boxes came in....whoa.
I'm sure the movers thought we were insane!
It teaches you that you don't need so much stuff.
| Kitchen before... |
| Keuken after :) |
| Hayden's room on moving day... |
| Hayden's slaapkamer now :) |
| Living room before... |
| Woonkamer now :) |
| Fireplace/dining room before... |
| Eetkamer now :) |
Nothing like some before and afters to see how far we've come!
I'm anxious to get into the garden/yard and make it pretty.
I brought all my BIG turquoise pots and the bird bath.
The backyard needs TLC.
Big time.
I'm afraid Ralph won't have the best lawn this year ;)
But we're up for the challenge....
| Tuin...in progress :) |
There are already signs of Spring on our front lawn however.
In February.
Awesome.
My coffee is gone.
I have to leave to get Olivia in 45 minutes.
Perhaps I should water some indoor plants. Or dust.
Or have another cup of coffee ;)
Ralph is right, you should give yourself a break! You moved to the other side of the world, to a strange country, with a strange language, with a different mentality and different customs and leaving all of your friends and relatives behind. To me you are SUPERWOMAN! I could not have done it! As I see how many Dutch words you already know (and know how to write them correctly), in 3 months time you definately will be able to have a conversation in Dutch. Don't worry about it!
ReplyDeleteYAY! LOVE this update!! :) YOU are amazing. The whole family is. And OF COURSE you guys are doing great and fitting right in -- you're the Deters family, after all. Your place totally looks like YOU. And you already speak a 100% more Dutch than me, so I'd say you're doing pretty good. ;) I look forward to many more blog updates -- especially when the kids are BOTH in school! xoxooo
ReplyDeleteI love your blog Kara! Love reading about your new experiences in Holland. It reminds me of my yourger self moving to different countries and trying to embrace everything! Big hugs!
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Whether you realize it or not, you are inspiring. Keep writing!
ReplyDelete